Grade 8 includes ‘mini-exam’ Sessions with:
- 6 Interval Identification Exercises: Identify the following intervals after the two notes have been played consecutively (melodic intervals).
- Above a given note: minor 2nd, major 2nd, minor 3rd, major 3rd, perfect 4th, perfect 5th, minor 6th, major 6th, minor 7th and perfect 8th.
- Below a given note: major 2nd, minor 3rd, major 3rd, perfect 4th, perfect 5th, minor 6th, major 7th and perfect 8th.
- 6 Chord Identification Exercises: Identify major, minor, dominant 7th and diminished 7th chords when played in root position solid form.
- 2 Cadence Identification Exercises Identify Cadences as Perfect (Authentic) (V-I) and Plagal (IV-I) at the end of a short phrase in a major or minor key.
- 2 Melody Playback Exercises of approximately nine notes based on the complete major scale about an octave in range with rhythmic figures more difficult than Grade 7 in C+, F+, G+, D+ and B flat+.