Grade 9 includes ‘mini-exam’ Sessions with:
- 6 Interval Identification Exercises: Identify the following intervals after the two notes have been played consecutively (melodic intervals).
- Above a given note: any interval within an octave.
- Below a given note: any interval within an octave except diminished 5th (augmented 4th)
- 6 Chord Identification Exercises: Identify these chords (by quality and inversion ex. major root) when played in solid form:
- Major and minor triads in root position and first inversion, dominant 7th and diminished 7th chords in root position
- 2 Cadence Identification Exercises Identify Cadences as Perfect (Authentic) (V-I), Plagal (IV-I) and Imperfect (I-V) at the end of a short phrase in a major or minor key.
- 2 Melody Playback Exercises of the UPPER voice of a two-part phrase in a major key.